Technically this post is for bloggers who use an Instagram account to go along with their blog. Or it could be for a blogger who is considering adding an Instagram account to their blog for their social media following.
It's been a while since I have done a blogger help topic. So today I'm going to tackle the occasionally controversial subject of Instagram and why you may not be getting the image likes or follows that you think you should.
I'm also going to put the below subject matter blame ALL on me, and I'll write it all as if I am telling it to you straight up or as I would face to face.
WHY I (or someone) MAY NOT FOLLOW YOU BACK
OR LIKE YOUR INSTAGRAM PHOTO
* Your photos are constantly blurry or terrible quality. No one likes a headache!
Along with that, becareful using the filters. While some may look great with your camera, others can make your image take on a negative appeal. If in doubt, just go with the original image sometimes those are best anyway!
* At first glance of your IG account, all I see in each picture is you trying to sell me something, or product push.
* Your account is private. If it's private I rarely will ever follow you because I have no idea what type of account I am asking to follow. I like to see what I am getting, I mean that is what IG is all about anyway, seeing and pictures.
* You're a blogger, but your using you're IG account for both your personal and blog business.
You should WANT to have these separate if only for safety reasons. But if you do combine them, make sure since you are using it for your blog overall and make the personal use relate to your blog.
If I want to follow because I like your blog and you get too off topic on your IG feed, I may look and have no interest to follow you.
* Nudity or constant partial nudity, this includes swimsuit shots or mirror bra selfies etc...
While some may want to follow you for a peek. I myself could careless what you look like in a bikini.
I often look through my IG account at work or in public places, I don't want people glancing and wondering what I am looking at.
Additionally, I often allow my younger nieces and nephews to play with my phone and they love IG, it's embarrassing if they see something they shouldn't. So for all those reasons, including the one that I don't want to see it, I definitely won't follow or will un-follow you for this reason.
(On that same subject, remember that if you are a blogger looking to work with advertisers. If you have nudity or close to it selfies, your probably not going to land campaigns with companies because most don't like to be affiliated with that type of promotion.)
* Gross pictures. I doubt I am alone, but I don't care if you just ran 1000 miles. I don't want to see pictures of your blistered bloody feet or other chaffed body parts, especially if your feet are still dirty in the shot, just ewe!
* You only post selfies of your shoes or meals.
Okay, I am NOT talking about food bloggers who take beautiful shots of food and it's their business.
I am talking about those who take pictures of each meal or half eaten meal and well I will just say it the food looks disgusting or I can't even tell what it is.
Also, I totally get the, take a selfie shot of your running shoes and post your times, I mean we all do it from time to time. But lately I've seen a lot of accounts that daily take nearly the exact same photo of their feet and post nothing else in their feed. Kinda boring, so while I may not un-follow you for it, eventually I may get bored and not bother sharing a like on the same exact picture each day.
* You only post pictures of your kids.
Granted I understand for a lot of mommy bloggers this is the thing. For me personally I don't follow mom accounts because well, I'm not a mom.
When I see a fitness blogger who is posting random pictures of every odd thing their kid does, I have a very hard time giving them a like on their photos.
Not because I want to un-follow them, because I will still follow you even if you "kid me out". But unless I know you personally, or have gotten to know you really well through your blog. I feel quite awkward liking your kids photos, because well for various reasons, but mostly because I don't want to feel like a creepy stranger liking your kids photos.
* You're posting at the wrong time of night. If you only have time to post at Midnight, that's fine you may pick up some likes from a night owl or someone in another country. While you can post anytime you want, don't be disappointed in your numbers if your posting at odd hours.
WHY I (or someone) MAY UN-FOLLOW YOU
* You followed me just to get a follow and then un-followed me a day or two after I followed you.
When I notice this, you can guarantee I am NOT going to keep following you. I find this to be one of the poorest practice to gaining followers and I have even blocked a few IG accounts who do this repeatedly. For that matter, why do bloggers do this? I don't get it, truthfully these types of IG accounts annoy the heck out of me, I have no time for them!
* You use a APP that automatically likes and comments on your followers photos. While I may not care if you have an App that auto likes my posts. If you have an App that posts random comments on my pictures that don't apply to what it is. Don't think your fooling me or anyone else.
Sometimes if I see a IG account has gone completely computer animated I un-follow. No point in dealing with an automated account, I like real people who actually like to interact even if only on occasion!
* You've changed your theme. Maybe originally I followed you because you were all about fitness, travel or motivation. Then later you've switched to pictures of only your kids or just random shared thoughts and images that don't relate to your blog or the reason I followed you originally. In some cases, if you've gone so far away from the reason I followed you in the first place, I may un-follow you for lack of interest.
* You go inactive. Yes we all get busy, it is part of life. But if you haven't used your IG account in a few months then I'm assuming your no longer active. I use a App that un-followers closed or fake accounts it occasionally also picks up non-active accounts. While I do get the final say with this App, if it does appear your no longer an active user I may un-follow.
Okay, so those are just a few of my reasons. I know I am occasionally odd, but I don't think I am so odd that I am alone in my thoughts above.
If you are looking to grow your Instagram account, or start one for your blog. The above may give you a few things to consider as you decide what type of theme you want to go with.
Additionally, it may give you ideas if you are struggling growing your current account. Or maybe it's time to go through your Instagram account and clean it up a bit and re-create it as you want it to be.
Instagram is one of the most fun interactive tools and you can use along with your blog. In fact some bloggers have dropped the blog and have gone completely Instagram. It's an amazing, when used correctly. But the correct way is different for everyone, and different for each audience. Play around with it, find your niche and put your best "photos" forward and watch your account take on a growth of it's own.
So tell me or help me add to the list:
What are some reasons you UN-FOLLOW someone on Instagram?
Or what are reasons you may not LIKE someones photo?
Do you get annoyed with the Apps that Comment for users too?
Do you agree, or disagree with my thoughts above? (It's okay if you disagree.)